UNIVERSITIES IRELAND (UI) was founded in 2003 by the nine university presidents on the island of Ireland to promote and develop cooperation between their institutions (the Open University in Ireland became its 10th member in 2011). The Centre for Cross Border Studies provides its secretariat.
UI has undertaken a number of activities and initiatives over the past decade: notably
- five North/South higher education conferences (2003-2006);
- joint meetings with British and Scottish university organisations;
- the Irish-African Partnership for Research Capacity Building (2007-2011);
- the North/South Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme; the Irish Section of the international Scholars at Risk network; and
- the historians’ project ‘Reflecting on a decade of War and Revolution in Ireland 1912-1923’.
Read the paper ‘A Decade of Universities Ireland Activities and Initiatives, 2003 – 2013‘ PDF 20Kb